Cyclocross and rolled tubulars…a great way to ruin your day.
Using the Belgian Method for gluing cyclocross tubulars is considered the gold standard for security, safety and to minimise frustration. CX Tape is the key ingredient in the Belgian Method.
It works together with your tubular cement of choice (manufacturers recommend Vittoria Mastik One) to improve adhesion between the tyre casing and the rim bed, helping to fill in voids that cement alone cannot fill and in doing so increasing the contact patch.
Each tin is good for 10 wheels.
CX Tape is a double-sided tape used in addition to high quality tubular glue to ensure the best bond possible between cyclocross tubular tires and tubular bicycle rims. CX Tape can be used on either carbon or alloy rims, the special formula adhesive found in the tape reacts with tubular glue to fill voids between the base tape and the rim bed. CX Tape should be installed by a professional mechanic or experienced individuals only.
CX Tape should be installed by professional mechanics and experienced individuals only!
If you are not experienced or have never glued tubular tires before you should go to your local professional mechanic.
WARNING: CX Tape should not ever be used as a standalone product to adhere tubular tires.
It must be used with high quality tubular glue!
We do not recommend its use with road tubulars.
- Start by prepping rim and tire in standard fashion.
- Apply 2-4 layers of tubular glue to the base tape as typically applied, allow final layer to dry ahead of final layer on the rim.
- Apply 2-4 layers of tubular glue to the rim bed, with standard drying time in between layers.
- Immediately following the final layer of tubular glue on the rim, and while still wet, apply CX Tape sticky side down starting at the valve hole and continue around the circumference, stopping at the opposite side of the valve hole.
- Work your way around the circumference of the wheel 2-3 times, pressing the tape into firmly into the rim bed.
- Remove the yellow backing from CX Tape to expose the adhesive surface, and wait a minimum of 5-10 minutes.
- Now apply a coat of tubular glue on top of CX Tape, wait no more than 2-4 minutes and mount the tire using standard practice.
- Following mounting the tire, align tire, inflate tire and wait standard period based on typical drying time.